Durham Durham Cathedral Archive Repertorium Magnum

From Durham Priory
Jump to: navigation, search
[edit]

Current locationDurham University Library
Current ShelfmarkDurham Cathedral Archive Repertorium Magnum
Summary TitleRepertorium Magnum
Creation Date Start1462
Creation Date End1464
Creation Date Statementcompiled approximately 1462-1464
Collation Formula
Pages / Folios56+159 f
Page: Lines
Columns
Volume: Height cm
Width cm
Binding
Secundo folio
IIIF manifest:https://n2t.durham.ac.uk/ark:/32150/t1mpc289j04q
Digitised online:https://n2t.durham.ac.uk/ark:/32150/t1mpc289j04q.html
Media FormatManuscript
Durham Cathedral Archive Repertorium Magnum


Creation PlaceEngland, Durham

Creator role:scribe Creator:Richard Billingham, active 1441-1472


Decoration:





Associated person:Richard Billingham, active 1441-1472Role:(compiler)


Medieval catalogue, reflecting the latest arrangement of the main classes of deeds Durham Priory's archive. It does not include deeds for the estates of the dependent priories of Coldingham and Finchale, or for those adminstered by some of the priory's obedientaries - the almoner and sacrist (kept separately). It does contain items referring to estates administered by the chamberlain, hostiller, infirmarer and feretrar. Compiled as the finding aid for the current archival storage system by Richard Billingham, at that time chancellor of the priory, with responsibility for its archive. It also contains 15th or 16th century cross-references to the priory's cartularies and registers, indicated by a C or R as relevant, the appropriate number of dots above for the relevant volume number, and the folio number to the right. Occasionally no folio number indicates that the document was never actually copied into a cartulary. There are also occasionally some fictitiously numbered entries, which are merely cross-references to documents in other classes, whose numbers are also indicated. It was kept up to date with additional entries down to the dissolution in 1539. Thereafter, further entries were added at various dates (including by John Cosin in the mid 17th century) down to the 19th century as other documents, medieval and later, were replaced with or more commonly added to those already listed. Over the centuries, many of the documents referred to have been lost. In the later 19th century, William Greenwell checked through the entire collection and ticked entries whose originals he had seen.